Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Saturday

Saturday

Saturday dawned a bit overcast and windy. Nippy. Doggie and I went for a nice walk. At 10, husband and I were off
to the library. I spent an hour in fustration and irritation because I couldn't remember how to connect to the
hotspot there. Pissy I was. I did go next door to the town hall where Daisy the [vietnamese pot-bellied] pig was
a featured guest with her human. Daisy was almost all black, had a pink bow, and was installed on a comfy chair
sleeping. She did not seem to care at all about her surroundings. Her human told the kids about her and I imagine
read a book about a pig. I didn't stay for that part.

Finally, I used husband's connection to update several blogs and whip out a couple of pissy self-pitying e-mails.
The power went out at the library then. We went to the store where I indulged in three selections of chocolate
candy and an orange blossom ice cream bar. Husband had an m&m ice cream cone. "This looks different," he said as
he reached into the freezer for it. Total charge was an even six bucks. Neither of us are convinced that Ed has
set prices for his merchandise. Wife Julie, the real brain of the couple, was absent.

Husband went for a walk, I took the dog for another walk and then retired for a nap. About 4:15 my c-pap machine
went off. I ambled downstairs to discover that our house was missing electric. I and doggie wandered down to the
dock on the west side of the island and spoke to the lobsterers. Power was out on the island. Back at the cottage,
the old people around had announced that Chebeague, Deer, and all of Yarmouth was affected. Long Island too, as it
turned out.

Husband's turn to grumble. His yellow split pea soup was not finished cooking on the electric stove. His mother
left with the congregation of old people to go off to a barbeque. Husband's sister, husband, and I had cheese on
crackers and salad for dinner. Unfortunately, no one answered the phone at the clamshack so the going out for ice
cream as dessert got vetoed.

That left me in a bit of a funk. I called home to a friend in recovery and we talked for a bit. I called another
friend in New Hampshire to check in on how he was doing and left a message on his cell. The lights came back on
about 7:45 or so and I read for a bit and filled up the rest of the evening with the computer and a doggie stroll.

spike

No comments: