Monday, April 03, 2006

I KNEW...

I KNEW I WAS IN RECOVERY WHEN...
-Coffee became a sacrament.
-I introduced myself to new people at work by saying, "My name is spike q and I'm an ad--oh, never mind."
-Bartenders stopped me on the street and congratulated me for quitting.
-I get nervous when current drug dealers say hello.
-I know how to meet people quickly in a new city.
-I know that in some cities 'going out for coffee' is actually 'going out for coffee and a burger.'
-I stopped skipping the steps.
-I didn't throw up on walls anymore.
-I only threw up when I had the flu.
-I realized that I am really enjoying life.

I KNEW I WAS A PAGAN WHEN...
-I found the salt in the bathroom.
-My roommates ask me, "where's the salt?" and they don't find it weird that it is in the bathroom.
-They retrieve the salt from the bathroom without asking.
-I burn a pot of boiling herbs on the stove. [paganhood plus traumatic brain injury]
-I know what the 'broom closet' is and why some folks have to live in it.
-I stop buying overpriced crap at weird shops and make or find my own.
-I have e-mail addys at iamawitch and at pagancollege.
-I know what 'fluffybunnies' are and I know that I'm not one.
-My pets begin having strange-sounding names.
-Not everyone can see all of 'my pets.'

I KNEW I WASN'T HETEROSEXUAL WHEN...
-I got on a bus and went down to the glbt pride parade in the city with no excuses.
-I started telling people that they may be practicing, but I'm proficient.
-I defend my friends in sexual outlaw communities with vigor.
-Pat Califa is on my nightstand.
-I know who really won the Virginia Slims "best legs" contest.
-I stopped laughing at THOSE jokes.
-I spoke up when people around me were telling THOSE jokes.
-I have a tee shirt that says "Some of my best friends are straight."
-"straight" no longer equals "clean."
-My dog and my cat have a same-gender interspecies relationship and I don't panic.


~sapphoq

No comments: