Sunday, May 06, 2007

DAY SIXTEEN

I woke up this morning very homesick to the point of wanting to go home NOW dammit.
I am tired, overtired from yesterday.
I want to go home. I miss my husband, my dog, my regular life.
And, btw, if you ever travel-- don't bother with the "teevee internet" service in hotels.
It sucks.

I stuck it out and made a plan. I paid some outrageous money via credit card in order to
catch up the blogspot blog on the trip. Yahell and all the rest will have to wait until
Sedona or possibly til I get back home.

About 12:45 I hit the outdoor whirlpool thing for 15 minutes of pounding out the achiness
and tightness with the pulsating jets. A shower then and a quick conference with the
hotel desk folks [who really act completely like they are all sick of their jobs-- the
phone rings constantly] convinced me to call a cab to the post office on 19th and Cactus
Avenue.

I spent some time stuffing things into two boxes at the post office, more time doing a botched
taping job for which I will win no prizes, and still more time on line shoving the boxes ahead
of me. A distinguished older gentleman came along when I got to the counter and lifted the boxes
up to it for me. I was surprised and happy that I didn't have to do it. A stop at the "K" gas
station and store for a cherry coke ala frozen and then I walked back to the hotel. The walk
was pleasant enough and the sidewalks were smooth and straight.

At the hotel, I got ready in time to miss the 27 bus to the mall. A young woman sat down next to
me. She applied some perfume to her arms. "Got to smell good for work," she said and I nodded.
She then proceeded to tell me her complete ancestry and her opinion on illegal aliens, "even though
my father is Mexican" she said. She doesn't want people coming in illegally she said. Somehow
I wasn't entirely convinced I don't know why. I didn't have to say anything. She continued on
and on and I began to wonder why I attract all of the talkative ones. Once on the bus, she pro-
ceded to straighten a young man out on why he should not go into the military. "Bush sucks. And
he's a liar," she told him in tones that brooked no argument. "I have to do something with my
life," he protested. Three years of nursing school down the tubes, a D.U.I. three years ago and
if he could stay out of trouble for six months, they had promised to "take" him. "Are you in
recovery?" I asked. He'd gone to rehab for nine months and is living in a halfway house. Still
he thinks he can drink a couple of beers. The woman next to me has 29 years sober and she took
him to task. Seems the guy was getting beaten on all sides. I wish him well and I hope he doesn't
kill himself with his hobbies or come home in a box.

I saw Eduardo the cabbie then and his friend something or other. Cabbie friend turned out to be
from Afghanistan and a Muslim, respectful of women, and one woman the mother of us all. I wasn't
sure if he meant "Eve" or Allat but it didn't matter. Cabbie friend rambled on about jungle and
Adam and animal skins. I told him to take care of Eduardo then and I headed off to the Ruby Tuesday's
at the Mall for dinner. Host dude is orginally from Illinois. Simon the waiter appeared to be new
as host dude was teaching him what to say. Simon the waiter did fine.

After dinner, I went to a couple of shoe stores and settled on a new pair of New Balances which of
course I won't be able to wear hiking in Sedona with the red dirt but which might prove comfortable
around town.

Then the ordeal of trying to get a cab at the corner by the Mens' Wearhouse. The dispatcher wanted
the address AND the cross street. Cab never came. I got a bit hot and done in about that. I had
wanted to go to the meeting tonight but it wasn't happening. Shit. Off to Swenson's and the same
uninspired young waitress for iced tea and ice cream to "cool off." It worked. Then to Barnes and
Noble for another Mercedes Lackey.

The shuttle is coming for me at 7:40 a.m. although my van to Sedona does not leave until 12 noon. I
shall spend some time at the airport it seems doing whatever people do at airports when waiting for a
shuttle to somewheres else.

Better early than late. I hope that the van from Sedona on Friday gets me to the airport on time to
go home.

sapphoq n friends

No comments: