Saturday, December 01, 2012

Courage


I just found TED talks like today-- a niece raved about them but when I began to investigate them myself, today-- I found a sense of excitement and connection.

Some years ago I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert in Baton Rouge.  Yeah, I'm a parrothead.  And this was back in the days when I was still endeavoring to be a chemist.  I was high.  I reckoned that most of the audience was high. I was drunk.  And so was Jimmy.  During that concert, I had a drug-induced vision.  I "saw" fibrous connections between everyone in that whole place.  It was sort of new agey, and so was I.  Even now in my happily atheist being, I remember that drug-induced vision with a sort of fondness. 

Today I believe that this life is about inter-connection.  It's up to each one of us where we go with that.  We are all alone in our own skins.  [Folks with alters not exempt-- I will postulate that each alter or fragment of an alter is also alone in his or her own skin.  With apologies to physicists].  We can journey together yet there are things that each one of us have to do for ourselves.

I've known for awhile things like, "I am not my disease."  "I am more than my labels."  "I am bigger than my problems."  But today, I learned very clearly that I am not my body.

And so, I present you with Janine Shepherd who learned how to fly:








Because courage, true courage is the ability to dream new dreams and to act on them.

sapphoq and friends

No comments: