Friday, September 02, 2005

Falling off the tree 9/2/05


When I was working, I too spent alot of time trying to prevent myself from falling off of the tree. Now that I am not working, I have been thinking about these things and re-evaluating my life.
To me, it appears that many companies want fewer workers to do more and more things with less and less time and resources. There is a gross lack of balance in this way of thinking.
The bottom line for business is profit. When I do return to work, I intend to keep my priorities up front in spite of the mad rush around me. Profit will not be had at my expense. I can no longer afford to prioritize my health and well-being somewhere below the idea of working far more hours than is good for me. I will have balance in my life. I deserve no less.
I used to be one of those people rushing around madly, working far more than thirty-five hours a week on a salaried job. There was way too much to do. Working was like juggling plates. I never knew how many of those plates would crash.
After my car wreck, I was no longer useful to my company. During the time when I was sleeping twenty hours a day, someone kept calling me from the office to argue about completing a company accident report. I was unable to fill out any forms. I was suffering from altered consciousness and sent all paperwork to my attorney.
I had hit a house. I was very fortunate to be alive. I had a serious brain injury. I had spinal injuries. I didn't know what was going on. I felt like I no longer understood the world and someone wanted me to fill out paperwork. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. I know now that she was "just doing her job" but that does not make the company's non-response to my accident any easier for me to take.

-sapphoq

No comments: