Friday, September 23, 2005

John Hinckley


*picture NOT taken by me. see description below picture.*




John Hinckley was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" for trying to shoot then president Ronald Reagan and three other people in (I think it was) 1986.

After carefully considering expert testimony from both sides, the jury decided that the state failed to prove its case. John Hinckley was taken to St. Elizabeths Hospital which has a forensic mental health unit for people referred to by the courts. He has been living there ever since.

Mr. Hinckley has been off -grounds for one heavily supervised visit with his parents, to an amusement park, and to a space center.
After the visit with his parents, photographs of Jodi Foster which Mr. Hinckley had obtained while at St. Elizabeths were found in his room. That was in 1987 (I think). Mr. Hinckley had claimed prior to the room search that he was over his obsession with Jodi Foster. Clearly, he wasn't at that time. Mr. Hinckley has now reportedly improved according to recent testimony by one of the psychiatrists employed by St. Elizabeths. His parents are requesting that Mr. Hinckley be permitted visits home.

The jury had made an unpopular decision. They made this decision based on the available evidence. Because of this verdict, insanity plea laws all over the nation were modified. Mr. Hinckley was not held accountable for his crime by reason of insanity.

I did not like Ronald Reagan, nor do I care for Mr. Hinckley. I do not want him to become a free man and I certainly would not marry him. And yet, I remind myself that the jury has spoken. The request of Mr. Hinckley's parents has once again put him in the public eye.

We the public and the media are going to re-try Mr. Hinckley in the court of
opinion. Mr. Hinckley had a jury. Regardless of what we think of the man, he is not in prison. A judge will soon decide what Mr. Hinckley is allowed or not allowed to do. I have a strong opinion, yet I am forced to acknowledge that I do not and should not have any say in this man's life.

-sapphoq

No comments: