Monday, April 30, 2007

DAY 14

Breakfast at the hotel followed by waiting for the three busses which would get me to the Phoenix Zoo at Papago Park. Papago Park--the beginning, as there was also the road I had to walk up past the Botanical Desert Gardens to the zoo itself-- is on the way to Scottsdale. So, it was another long haul. The walk was Dante's hell. I did see some critters which resembled lean running mice the shape of chipmunks on steroids with long tails.

I got to the zoo itself just before 12 noon. It wasn't as pricey to get in as the San Diego Zoo, but then it failed to excite me like the San Diego Zoo did. I ate and then got on the three dollar tram. The star of that show was a round tail ground squirrel [Actually he had a buddy who didn't show up until we were almost rolling] with a hole under a tree and a precious habit of laying on his stomach to eat the popcorn people threw at him. He also scratched the ground while laying down and he seemed to have double jointed back legs as well. He was a little darling, a ham. I got several good shots of him. Hewas fairly aggressive in his approach, even stealing popcorn away from the hopeful piercing eyes of his fellow house sparrows who had their own congregation gathered round another tree.

I got a few pics of animals from the tram but then settled into taking pics of the people nea4rby as we rode. I was quite satisfied with this approach. After the tram ride was over, I set off for "the Arizona Desert Trail" and the herps. The herps were a disappointment. I didn't think much of the condition of the two toads who were housed together nor did any of them radiate contentment. I thought that the iguanas in their outdoor enclosure were perhaps the best kept of the lot. And the "real" gecko scurrying past me as I was exiting was pretty cool.

Besides the iguanas, there was a handsome bald eagle that was delightful. Regal and proud he was. And a bobcat with sharp feline features that I found to be quite stunning. There were others around too. A cage of chattering parrots was rather raucous with their calls.

By and large, I could feel that it was time for me to leave, especially as there was a long walk ahead of me back to the bus stop with no taxi cabs in sight.

I got on the bus shortly after three and several buses later, the desert turned into a dusty windstorm followed by five minutes of rain. I ate at Swenson's an uninspired b.l.t. served by an uninspired young woman. Then I was off on a jaunt to Barnes & Noble. The sun returned.

Back at the hotel, equipped with a bottle of Tide from the neighboring 7-11, I did a bit of laundry and had a soak in the whirlpool. Hibiscus had littered the water. The effect was rather like odd drifting rose petals. The laundry got done as I would allow it [that is to say, I would not wait 30 minutes for everything to dry to a crisp].

I carted that back upstairs and realized that I was hungry. Reluctantly, I went downstairs for prime rib. Dinner took away the craving for sweets. Now I am for a bit of reading and bed.

The convention of barbershop quartets wanted money. I had watched the registration lady explain that to one of the guests and quickly lost interest in the whole affair. That was this morning. Particularly as they were all heading off to some school to have the judging. So that was that.

sapphoq n friends

No comments: